So I finally got at least one necklace finished off in time!! I’m not 100% happy with it as I struggled to get it constructed in time as I was using many processes which are new to me. I have put so much energy and hard work into this, it’s always a little disappointing when the end result doesn’t look as good as you would like, however I’m happy I got it finished and it does look like my original designs. I’m now ready to take all that I have learnt onto the next exciting jewellery project!
I spent quite a few hours sawing and filing this piece also, the anodising and dyeing actually went really well, the colour is amazing. Unfortunately whilst trying to remove some scratches before the anodising process I managed to make the surface uneven and so I won’t be using it, I’ll be putting this on my list of lessons learnt!
I’ve spent the last few hours sawing out the shape for the backing of the pendant and filing it to, hopefully, fit the shape exactly, which is an incredibly painstaking job. My arms hurt, my hands hurt, my eyes hurt BUT its looking good so far. Fingers crossed things are finally starting to go right!
As predicted, I have already had technical issue’s with the making of my final pieces which have set me back but still, I’m fairly happy with the results so far! This is not a finished pendant as i’m not 100% happy with the colour it has turned out but it is looking pretty cool under UV light and when it glowing in the dark. I’m making some more today so hopefully this one will turn out a bit better!
I have been busy writing an essay about how science has influenced contemporary art and design and it has been a truly interesting subject to research. There is a wealth of weird and wonderful projects out there within the Art Science ‘movement’. I have added a link above to one of the artists involved in an amazing project called ‘Biojewellery’ talking about the human tissue jewellery he created along with the jewellery designer Nikki Stott and a team of doctors from the Imperial College, London.
I tried anodising silver for the first time yesterday. I was hoping for some lovely bright colours forming on the surface. The results were okay, they look iridescent purple and blue, but only in certain lights. It doesn’t look as impressive as I would have hoped, especially as I used an expensive material. I think you can get much better results using titanium and niobium, but unfortunately I cannot afford either of these metals!, and so I have decided to give aluminium a go next.