I wanted to make sure the ‘dark matter’ side of the symmetry in my development work was as exciting to look at as the bright UV colours, so I’ve been playing around with some amazing iridescent materials. I liked the idea of having a pompom coming out of the resin, like I had seen on the minerals at the Natural History Museum.
I tried anodising silver for the first time yesterday. I was hoping for some lovely bright colours forming on the surface. The results were okay, they look iridescent purple and blue, but only in certain lights. It doesn’t look as impressive as I would have hoped, especially as I used an expensive material. I think you can get much better results using titanium and niobium, but unfortunately I cannot afford either of these metals!, and so I have decided to give aluminium a go next.